Saturday, June 6, 2015

Search Engines

Looking at all the search engines available to us made me realize even further how little I know about some of the technology available.  Here are a list of some of the different engines that I found while perusing the web.


Wolfram Alpha- This is a resource that I hate I have not heard of before. It seems like it would be a extraordinary tool for both teachers and students alike. It gives you facts, computes date, solves problems and wide range of other uses. I got some of my old Math 112 problems out and typed them into the engine. Wolframa did not disappoint and it successfully worked out the problems I fed into it. This would saved me a few late nights last summer.

Bing- Is my backup when Google is not behaving properly. The searches through the information  on the web pretty fast but I much prefer Google.

DogPile- This is a helpful search engine that pulls results from both Google and Bing as well as other popular search engines. I like the dog theme.

Ask- Is a pretty fun seach engine that I have used on several occasions. You can as the name suggest ask it any questions and it will deliver the best results from people and the web. I mostly used it to ask stupid questions like "Are their aliens in Area 51?" and "Is Redbull bad for you?" But if use properly this is a powerful tool.

 Lycos- I think from my brief use of this search engine it is primarily used for social media and other entertainment. You can also use it to build free websites which is pretty cool. It also has an online gaming feature so I will defiantly investigate this engine further.

DuckDuckGo- This search engine most notable feature is that it does not track you will browsing the web. This cuts down on spam and makes for a better browsing experience.

 IxQuick- Like DuckDuckGo this engine does not track your online patterns and cuts down on spam. Another cool thing is it pulls results from all search engines so it cuts down the need to go switch between the different engines.

Webopedia- Is an search engine that acts like an encyclopedia for computing terms. As just used it to get the actual definition of a search engine and it was very quick getting results. I will without a doubt continue to use this Webopeida as I expand my use of technology.

http://www.egyptinternetmarketing.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/search-engines.jpg



2 comments: